– “Improbable Subjects: A Cast of Characters to Voice Nationalism’s Failure,” A Review of Muhammad Zafaf, Monarch of the Square: An Anthology of Muhammad Zafzaf’s Short Stories, trans. Mbarek Sryfi and Roger Allen (New York: Syracuse University Press, 2014).SCTIW Review, September 3, 2015. http://sctiw.org/sctiwreviewarchives/archives/701
– Sarah Edwards and Jonathan Charley, Writing the Modern City: Literature, Architecture, Modernity. (New York: Routledge, 2012). Traditional Dwellings and Settlements Review, Vol. 26, No. 2 (Spring 2015), pp. 92.
Link: Writing the Modern City Book Review
– Smolin, Jonathan, Moroccan Noir (Bloomington: Indiana University Press, 2013). Journal of Arabic Literature, Vol. 45, No. 2 (2014), pp. 268-271.
Link: Moroccan Noir
– “New Trends in Arab Feminist Thought.” Rabab Abdulhadi, Evelyn Alsultany, and Nadine Naber eds., Arab and Arab American Feminisms: Gender, Violence and Belonging (New York: Syracuse University Press, 2011); Evelyn Alsultany, Arabs and Muslims in the Media: Race and Representation after 9/11 (New York: NewYork University Press, 2012); Zakia Salime, Between Feminism and Islam: Human Rights and Sharia Law in Morocco (Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press, 2011). Women’s Studies Quarterly (WSQ), Special Issue: Engage, Vol. 41, No. 3&4 (Fall/Winter 2013), pp. 287-289.
– “The Melancholia of a Generation.” Muḥammad al-Ash‘arī, al-Qaws wa’l-farāshah (al-Dār al-Bayḍā’: al-Markaz al-Thaqāfī al-‘Arabī, 2011). Jadaliyya (May 2012)
– “From Kurtz to Kurt: Yasmina Khadra’s Simplistic African Equation.” Yasmina Khadra, L’équation africaine (Paris: Julliard, 2011). Warscapes (November 2011)
– “Two Texts from the Banlieue: Shantytown Kid and Ethnicity and Equality: France in the Balance by Azouz Begag.” Azouz Begag, Shantytown Kid. Trans. Alec G. Hargreaves and Naomi Wolf (Lincoln: University of Nebraska Press, 2007); Azouz Begag, Ethnicity and Equality: France in the Balance. Trans. Alec G. Hargreaves (Lincoln: University of Nebraska Press, 2007). Arab Studies Journal, Vol. 15/16, No. 2/1 (Fall 2007/Spring 2008), pp. 228-234.
Link: begag review
– Bensalem Himmich, The Polymath. Trans. Roger Allen (Cairo: American University of Cairo Press, 2003). Arab Studies Journal, Vol. 12/13, No. 2/1 (Fall 2004/Spring 2005), pp. 208-210.
Link: polymath review
– “Reading the Past into the Future: Three Mahfouz Novels.” Naguib Mahfouz, Khufu’s Wisdom. Trans. Raymond Stock (Cairo: American University of Cairo Press, 2004); Naguib Mahfouz, Rhadopis of Nubia. Trans. Anthony Calderbank (Cairo: American University of Cairo Press, 2004); Naguib Mahfouz, Thebes at War. Trans. Humphrey Davies (Cairo: American University of Cairo Press, 2004). The Lebanon Daily Star: The Beirut Review 24 July 2004